Easy Mint Chocolate Ice Cream Pie is the perfect summer sweet treat, and it’s made with only three ingredients! This is such a simple way to make an ice cream dessert for your family. It’s sure to please!
Mint Chip Ice Cream Pie
There’s nothing more refreshing on a hot day than a slice of ice cream pie. Luckily, it’s so easy to make this celebratory ice cream dessert at home!
This easy mint chocolate chip ice cream pie recipe has quickly become a family favorite. You only need three ingredients: ice cream (flavor of your choice), Cool Whip (regular or lite), and a pre-made pie crust to make it as simple as possible.
Talk about the perfect sweet treat for those warm summer days. Sometimes you just need an easy, no-fuss dessert you can whip up in a hurry! And it’s perfect for celebrations too, like birthdays or graduation parties.
Why You’ll Love this Ice Cream Pie Recipe:
- HOMEMADE: Who wouldn’t want to make ice cream pie at home? It tastes just like the ones from the ice cream shop!
- EASY: This is surprisingly easy to make, and requires no cooking. You only need three ingredients, plus a pre-made cookie crust.
- ANY FLAVOR: One you know how to make this recipe, it can be made in any flavor! Mint chocolate chip is so good, but it’s fun to try other options too.
- Ice Cream: We used mint chocolate chip ice cream, but you can use your favorite flavor.
- Cool Whip: This just helps to create a better texture for ice cream pie. You can use lite Cool Whip with the same great results!
- Pie Crust: We used a chocolate cookie crust, but you can use a graham cracker crust, or any pre-made pie crust.
- Toppings: Add any toppings you like to finish it off. Hot fudge, caramel, and walnuts taste great.
Trademark note: In the spirit of transparency, please note that some of these ingredients are trademarked products. Dairy Queen, Cool Whip, Nilla, and Oreos are proprietary brands that I want to acknowledge and give credit to.
How to Make Ice Cream Pie
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Blend Cool Whip and softened ice cream.
- Spread into a pre-made cookie pie crust.
- Top with any sauces or garnishes you choose.
- Freeze at least two hours before serving.
Prep is super quick–you’ll only need 10-15 minutes! It usually takes about 2 hours to fully freeze/set .
Ice cream pie keeps in the freezer for months, as long as it’s properly wrapped or covered to prevent freezer burn. It’s best within 1 month.
You don’t have to add Cool Whip if you don’t want to, or don’t have any. But I think it creates a slightly nicer texture.
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer about 15 minutes before to make sure it’s soft enough to spread.
- A handheld electric mixer is ideal for blending the ice cream and Cool Whip. But you can use a stand mixer, or even mix by hand if needed.
- Use a spatula or something flat to spread the ice cream evenly into the pie crust.
- Freeze at least 2 hours to let it set.
- To get clean slices, run your knife under hot water for a few seconds, wipe to dry, and make 1 slice; repeat.
What is a cookie crust?
Cookie crusts are pre-baked pie crusts that you find in the grocery store (in the baking aisle). Instead of a regular pastry like you’d see in an apple pie, cookie crusts are made from crushed cookies, like Oreos, Nilla wafers, or graham crackers.
They add a fun, sweet element to a dessert, and because this ice cream pie recipe doesn’t require baking, you can use these cookie crusts straight from the package!
What toppings are best for this pie?
Depending on the flavors you use for your ice cream pie, there are so many topping options. Here are some delicious topping ideas:
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate fudge sauce
- Caramel sauce
- Miniature chocolate chips or shaved chocolate (I shave a large chocolate bar with a vegetable peeler)
- Chopped nuts
- Maraschino cherries
- Crushed Oreos
Can I make a different flavor of ice cream pie?
Absolutely! I love mint chocolate chip, so of course it makes a delicious flavor for this pie. But you can use any flavor and follow the same recipe.
This recipe would be great in so many flavors, like peanut butter, chocolate, strawberry, or coffee. You could even try a sherbet for a fruity variation. Choose your favorite ice cream and go for it!
Be sure to try this Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Pie too!
I hope you can find a reason to celebrate with this Easy Mint Chip Ice Cream Pie sometime soon. Let me know what flavors you try!
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!